Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Cascadia vs. Free 5.0

Well, I moved to the country a few weeks ago, and aparently I have a lot to learn about living in the sticks. I have these awesome trails that begin less than 30 feet from my back door, and I run them everyday. With that being said, my very understanding wife would greatly appreciate it if I take my nasty ass shoes off before I come inside. Totally understandable, right? So I do. I leave them out of the way on the front porch. After about one week after moving in and discovering my new playground, I walk out the front door eager to hit the trails, and to my surprise, one of my new Brooks trailrunners is GONE!!!! Once I dfound a few other half eaten items laying in the side yard, I figured that some wild animal had about a 100 dollar snack, on me!! So thiat brings me to my point. For over two years now I've been running the same Brooks and I love them. I had a pair of these Nike free 5.o trail shoes at the house which I used just to wear around the house and stuff. For those of you who don't know, these 5.o's are supposed to simulate barefoot running, so I've been a little hesitant to run in them seeing that I need more support. However, I had no choice so I laced them up and I was off. Let me tell ya something, they were bad ass!!!! I love them. They truly feel like your running without shoes on. I have run about 110 miles in them in the last 2 weeks and I love them. So for anyone who has thought about getting a pair, I highly suggest it. If I had to say anything negative about them, I would say that I wish they had better traction for running when it has rained, and maybe if they could come up a little higher on the ankle. Also, I wouldn't recommend running much more than 20 miles in them and I really would not want to run on a rough, rooty trail you aren't familiar with. Other than that, they rock!!!!!

5 comments:

Mike Hudson said...

Where did you find the Free's?! I have yet to find any in Memphis. My "barefoot" running is in the Five Fingers, but would love to try the Free's.

squatting bear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
runningtwig said...

Patrick! Glad you are blogging now! I just found out this week you had one. I can't believe y'all ran 30 miles this morning and it sucks you guys can't run swampstomper next weekend. Hopefully I'll see you around sometime!

CSP said...

Yay Patrick!!! Yay blogging Patrick...come over and see what Michael and I made!!

scammed said...

Expensive shoes for someone that claims to be broke.