Monday, January 21, 2008

A final look at Swamp Stomper 2008

Well, it's over. A success overall, I guess. All of the members of Memphis Ultra finished, and congrats to Vince Spataro for finishing his very first ultra! I had the pleasure of running the first several miles with him, M.Poole, and Mike (last part) Mobely. Poole left us shortly after the turn around in fear he was wasting too much time at the aid stations, and finished real strong alongside pacer/brother-in-law/team member Drew. Myself, Vince, and Mobely continued on for several miles and I felt great the entire time.We also got to run a few steps with Ultra Mike Hudson, who seemed very focused and strong. I could tell the other two were starting to feel the pain that comes along with an ultra and I went on alone. I picked up the pace in the last 7 or 8 miles (wishing I would've sooner) and passed a few people on the way home. I just could not get over how strong I felt the whole race. I had heard horror stories about how hard the course was, and I have to be honest, I just didn't think it was very hard at all. I never really got tired, and the "hills" didn't seem to bother me much. After running the Stump Jump and Sylamore I was expecting a lot worse. There were some pretty steep inclines inside the red loop, but I would have to say that literally 60% of the course at Stump Jump was worse than that. However, it was diffcult in it's own way and everyone who showed up and ran deserves a pat on the back and a high five. It was very cold. As a matter of fact, I was freezing my ass off for the first 3 or 4 miles. Great race, and thanks to Leigh Tanner for making it all fall into place for more than a few of us. After it was all over with, I went home and enjoyed a few cold beers and went to sleep. This morning I got up feeling great, no soreness anywhere, so I decided to get put of the bed and do a little upper body workout, which was nice. I took the day off work thinking I would be sore and tired, but after a few early afternoon celebration beers I had to sneak out the back door for a few short miles. WOOPS!!! See ya on the trails.

3 comments:

Mike Hudson said...

Great run, Patrick! You never looked tired the whole time! I always knew when you guys were close because you all were talking loud and having fun! That's the way to run a race!!

runningtwig said...

Glad you had such a good race. Maybe you will be able to blow Sylamore out of the water! Keep it up!

Feb said...

Hey Patrick...Great run man. Looks like those backyard trails are turning you into a monster. Give a call at the shop when you get a chance. 761-0078.