Saturday, February 9, 2008

Holy bathroom breaks!!!!!!!!

We got to the trails on time this morning, it was pretty nice out too. I'm not sure of the exact temperature, but it could have been a lot worse for this time of year. So myself, Poole and Drew set off at 5:00 a.m. with the headlamps on, ready to see what would happen today. I felt good overall, but my hands were so damn cold I could hardly open my fingers. I think from now on I will leave my fluids out on the counter the night before a long run and see what happens. Anyway there we are just running , laughing, telling funny stories and discussing plans of training and racing, and all of the sudden at mile 6 or so it felt like I was going to shit all over myself, just like that, out of nowhere. I had just gotten through feeling sorry for Drew, who was having some major stomach issues himself, and thinking to myself how glad I was that I wasn't feeling that way and not to talk about it with him because in my experience that only makes things worse. For anyone who knows me or has run a few times with me would know that I often have "bathroom breaks" on the trail. That is why my name is the "squatting bear". So it happened the first time at mile 7. We continued on for about five more miles and BANG, number two, so to speak. This is always frustrating for me because other than my stomach I was feeling really strong, but as you might know these "breaks" in the woods can bring on the fatigue and dehydration like a bitch. Still running well we started back down the yellow trail towards the cars and I started to fell better. I had just told the other guys I was thinking abg about running a little more once we got to the cars and about a mile later KABOOM, again. After that I really had no other option but to stop at the cars and come back tomorrow. Still, we ended up running 17 miles , I got in 9 yesterday so I guess I'm happy with that. Looking forward to this coming weekend in Sylamore, we should have a good little group heading out from Memphis, so it should be a lot of fun. Gotta go, I'll be in the shitter if you need me!!!!!

4 comments:

Mike Hudson said...

Hopefully you did not shat on the trail!

What time are ya'll running tomorrow?

Brandy Parker said...

Hope you get to feeling better!!~~Brandy

runningtwig said...

What another great post...maybe I'm glad I skipped out on this run with y'all! Better not happen next week - try not to drink beers the night before!! :) See you around, squatter.

Jolly Green Thumb said...

That was a great run. Nice and leisurely but not too slow. I was thinking about how many times your stomach attacks you in the woods. You should definitely get some kind of little kit to carry with you. Maybe with some, tp, bay wipes, immodium (J/K you are not supposed to take that in a long race) You should definitely look into some type of poo purse for running. Anyhoo, Yay Sylamore 50K. I can't wait. According to Accu Weather, there is supposed to be a low of 29 and a high of 45. Thats not too bad. However, they are calling for rain Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Hopefully we will have to swim across the river at mile two. Ha Ha.