Tuesday, February 5, 2008

New Inspiration

At the funeral today the man speaking was talking about how you should live now, take more vacations, spend more time doing what you are passionate about. Of course I thought of my family and close friends,and then I thought of running. I thought about how I don't really have many friends who run and how they don't "get it." They all ask why. Why run all those painful miles and even more "what do you think about while running for several hours." The answer was always different. I would say I run because it makes me feel good to set a goal and reach it or something stupid like that. I realized I have been running all these races in a selfish manner. What I mean is, it was all about ME. Losing weight for me, running a fast time for me,reaching a goal for MEEEEEEEEE!!!! Not anymore. In several days I will be running 50 miles for the first time, and I am scared to death. I am NOT ready at all. But, in the funeral home today I stumbled upon a new source of inspiration. I'm going to run this one right. This time I'm running for my dad, from who I was passed down the mental strength it takes to do this running stuff in the first place. I'll be doing it for my mom, who I wish I was like in so many ways it would take too long to type, my awesome wife whoI look up to so much. I'll be running for Jim Hood who beat cancer against all odds, my sweet baby niece Mary May, and last but not least my 3 baby girls will keep my legs moving forward and my heart pumping until the finish. I may not be ready, but know this, I will finish. After all, the pain some of these people have gone through, whether physical or not, 50 miles should be a piece of cake. Thanks for the inspiration.

5 comments:

runningtwig said...

What a great blog and good inspiration for us all. Sorry to hear you guys have had to go through some tough times lately. I'll get in touch with Michael about maybe either me or Drew hooking up with you guys this weekend. Later fatso!

Dirty D said...

Very cool. Everyone of our friends should read this.

Mike Hudson said...

During the last 12.5 mile loop of the Mississippi 50, you can run for ME!!!!! I will be in dire need of a piggy-back ride then!!

Giddy-up!!

Carrie said...

Proud of you Chritz.

Anonymous said...

Great post, Patrick. It usually does come down to the ME aspect but you also tend to realize that by improving YOU it helps your relationship with OTHERS. See you Saturday. Let's finish up our training and kick the crap out of Sylamore!